The City of Waupaca seeks a Community and Economic Development Director. This is a full-time, supervisory position that will lead and work with current economic development staff to ensure we engage in a customer-focused development process. This position is a department head position that will work collaboratively with the City Administrator and other department heads as a key part of the City’s leadership team. The Community and Economic Development Director will have three direct reports and will report directly to the City Administrator. Responsibilities include successful monitoring and administration of planning, zoning, executing development action plans, being a friendly/helpful point of contact for existing and new businesses and residents, etc…
The City of Waupaca is currently going through a growth spurt, specifically in residential construction. 2020 and 2021 have seen building permit applications rise by over 60% when compared to the previous ten years. With the recent influx in residential construction the City is currently working on new neighborhood plans to ensure the City is ready all those wanting to call Waupaca home.
The City of Waupaca is truly a wonderful place with amenities that not all communities have. Its geographical location along Highway 10 makes for easy access to Appleton (40 minutes East) and Stevens Point (25 minutes West). A world famous Chain of 22 Lakes, two rivers that run through the City, 300+ acres of City parks, and Hartman’s Creek State Park make Waupaca a great place for anyone who enjoys the outdoors. In October of this year, our Historic Main street will be finishing up a construction project resulting in a new main street, underground utilities, a more walkable and aesthetically pleasing streetscape and sidewalks along with upgraded amenities. In addition to the infrastructure upgrades, City Council has enacted a downtown business incentive program that is currently working to preserve the structural integrity of our historic downtown buildings.
While we are proud of our initiatives and natural amenities we are most proud of our people. Anyone considering this position should know that they will be joining a team of staff members and elected officials that are the reason for any successes past or future.
The Ideal Candidate Will Have:
- Strong customer service skills.
- Supervisory skills accompanied by past experience managing personnel.
- Strong understanding of zoning regulations and the value it brings to communities.
- Relentless positive demeanor and attitude.
- Great character, ethics and a work history that supports that.
- Strong understanding that zoning code, building code and economic development sometimes work against each other. Must possesses skills and knowledge to ensure criteria in each area is met while working through a customer-focused process.
- Ability and knowledge to help guide policy makers through effective economic development strategies while educating them on the positive and negative effects of each option.
- Possesses an understanding of doing things legally and going through the proper processes when policy makers deem a change is needed.
- Ability to strongly communicate and advocate for economic development strategy while possessing the ability to execute the direction set by the governing body.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Planning or related field, three to five years of professional planning experience, or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills. Supervisory experience required. Master’s Degree Preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
The starting salary will be between $65,000 – $79,000 +/- DOQ. The City of Waupaca offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Questions can be directed to Aaron Jenson, City Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications should be sent electronically to email@example.com by Friday, June 18th.