Applications & Permits

The Municipal Code of Waupaca, Wisconsin provides certain minimum standards, provisions, and requirements for safe and stable design, methods of construction, and uses of materials in building and/or structures hereafter erected, constructed, enlarged, altered, repaired, moved, converted to other uses or demolished and regulates the equipment, maintenance, use, and occupancy of all such buildings and/or structures.

Permits must be obtained and authorized before any building within or into the City including projects that enlarge, alter, move, demolish, or change use within the City.

New 1 & 2 Family Dwelling General Information

General Construction
General Construction includes the building of structures for commercial and residential use, additions to existing buildings and improvements like siding, windows, decks or interior remodeling. A deck with a height of more than 24″ is required to have guardrails and a deck fastened to a dwelling is required to have footing.

Building Cross-section

Building Permit Application

Drain Tile Form

Sign Permit Application

Simple Building Permit Application (Used for decks, siding and roofing, new windows, razing a building, moving a building, installing a tower, garden shed, ramp, or similar project only involving one contractor.  This can be used for both commercial and residential projects.)

Wisconsin Uniform Building Permit Application


Addition to Existing Structure Application Instructions

Alterations, Remodeling and Repair Permit Application Instructions

Building Razing or Moving Permit Application Instructions

Deck Permit Application Instructions

New Commercial Permit Application Instructions

New Home Permit Application Instructions

Signage Permit Application Instructions

Sill Plate Framing Details for 2 Foundation Insulation

Accessory Structures

Accessory structures are typically used for a primary purpose and are located on the same piece of land as the main structure, but with the intent of acting as a secondary use. Common examples include a detached garage or storage shed, as well as swimming pools, gazebos, generators, boathouses, and similar buildings. A permit is required for construction of, or any improvements on, such a structure.

         Detached Garage or Shed Permit Application Instructions
         Swimming Pool and Tower Permit Application Instructions
All electrical work in the City must be done by, or under the supervision of a master electrician certified by the state of Wisconsin. Any electrical work requires two complete sets of plans and specifications showing in detail the electrical work for which the permit is required. Plans must be approved by the Building inspector, after which an electrical permit will be issued. The Electrical contractor will notify the Building Inspector when ready for rough and final inspections.

Electrical Permit Application


Arc Fault Information for Homeowners

Arc Fault Protection in Dwelling Units

Electrical Permit Application Instructions

A permit is required to install heating, cooling, and ventilating equipment in a building and/or dwelling. Upon final completion an inspection by the City of Waupaca Building Inspector is required for all projects.
        HVAC Permit Application Instructions

$1500 Energy Tax Credit Information

The construction, connection to or repair of any waste drain or water supply lateral pipe requires a permit. No plumbing in the City may be installed without first filing a complete set of plans with the Plumbing Inspector who will then issue a permit. Minor repairs to faucets and the removal of stoppages or waste pipes are not included.

Plumbing Permit Application


Plumbing Permit Application Instructions

Sprinkler System Application Instructions

Canopies & Awnings

A permit is required to install canopies and awnings. Those constructed along a block on a street shall not be constructed in such a manner to restrict the viewing of signs and other ornaments along the block. This includes obstructing signs on adjoining properties. Canopies and awnings must be suspended from the building with no support upon the sidewalk or public street. Additional permits are required if the electrical service or wiring is installed.


Canopy and Awning Permit Application Instructions

Public Utilities
Permits are required for any work that affects municipal utilities. This includes the City water system, natural gas, and sewage. Most commonly work includes private wells, tank system closures, and street excavation which may be required for work relating to any municipal utilities.

Agreement Providing Accessibility to Water Meters

Street Excavation Permit Application

Underground Petroleum Products Tank Registration ERS-7437

Underground Tank Closure Report


Tank-System Site Assessment Guidelines

Underground Storage Tank Removal Instructions

A property owner or contractor wishing to build a fence must have a permit to do so. Fences within the City of Waupaca may be on property lines, but height restrictions are in place depending on whether it is for commercial or residential properties.

Fence Permit Application


Fence Permit Application Instructions

Safety is a top priority of the City of Waupaca. Please see the the attached rules and brochures below related to such important topics as wiring, smoke alarms, EPA renovator rules, and lead paint. Permit wise, a building permit is required when an interior sprinkler is replaced or added; if part of a larger project, a permit is not required.


EPA Renovator Rules for Homeowners and Contractors

Fall Protection Rules Change

Renovate Right Brochure EPA

Residential Detached Garage Wiring Requirements

Small Business Compliance Guide for Lead Paint

Smoke Alarm Brochure

UDC Carbon Monoxide Brochure