Fast facts about Wildfires
Every year, thousands of wildfires in Wisconsin are started as a result of careless use of fire in the outdoors. Since 98 percent of these fires are caused by humans, wildfire prevention aims to teach people about the dangers of accidentally igniting fires, with the expectation that safe burning practices will lead to fewer wildfires. This is important because a wildfire in the wrong place can destroy homes and alter the landscape causing stress on wildlife and ruining the aesthetic beauty of our forests. Preventing wildfires also reduces the cost of firefighting efforts and economic losses associated with property damage, timber loss and large-scale evacuations.
- Click Here for current fire danger and burning permit restrictions.
Get a burning permit
For more information about burning, check out the resources below.
- Concerned about burning safely? Here are a few simple tips .
- Learn about other ways to prevent wildfires .
- Fire conditions change daily. See the National Weather Service daily fire weather briefing .
- Let’s face it…burning is unsafe, unhealthy and a nuisance. Find alternatives to burning.
If you have comments or would like information,
Waupaca Area Fire District
P.O. Box 46 Waupaca, WI 54981
(715) 258-4434 FAX: (715) 258-4409
Jerry Deuman, Fire Chief
Comments or questions regarding our website: firstname.lastname@example.org